This is a delicious dish that is super easy to make and only takes about 30 minutes. This dish can also be easy made into a vegetarian meal by simply omitting the chicken sausage. Serves 4.
- 8 oz whole-wheat penne pasta
- olive oil spray
- 3 3-oz all-natural, fully cooked low-fat chicken sausages, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 pinches fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 7 oz baby spinach
- 1 oz low-sodium Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook penne to al dente according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- While penne is cooking, heat a large skillet on medium-high and coat with cooking spray. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and heated through. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add oil to skillet and heat on medium-high. Add onion and season with salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper and tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer, until slightly reduces, 1-2 minutes. Add half of spinach, stirring until beginning to wilt. Stir in remaining spinach and simmer until tender and most of liquid has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Combine pasta, tomato mixture, and sausage, stirring well to combine and cook on low until heated through. Top with Parmesan and serve.