Some things in life are out of our control. We can’t control the weather, the traffic, or the people around us. But we can manage certain things in our own lives that will help to improve our overall quality of life and better equip us to handle the stuff we can’t control.
1. Avoid excess alcohol. While many of us use alcohol to unwind after a stressful day, drinking too much can have a negative impact on our bodies. Instead of reaching for the bottle of wine, try some deep breathing exercises instead.
2. Don’t smoke. The negative effects of smoking have been well-documented over the years. Smoking can lead to cancer or other ailments. It can even cause wrinkles!
3. Maintain a healthy weight and exercise regularly. A healthy weight allows your body to function at an optimal level and reduces many of the health risks associated with obesity. Even a few minutes of exercise 3 or 4 times a week can elevate your mood, get your heart pumping, and burn some calories.
4. Sleep 7-8 hours a night. For most people (myself included), this is a tough one. But our bodies need time to relax and recharge. The extra shut-eye can lead to extra productivity since your brain can focus and perform at a higher level.
5. Eat nutritious, regular meals (including breakfast). Eating real, unprocessed foods provides your body with many of the essential vitamins and nutrients that it needs to function. Getting the right amount of calories for your body and activity level is essential for maintaining a healthy weight. The easiest way to summarize food choices is “garbage in, garbage out”. You don’t want to be a garbage disposal, do you?
How do you maintain your quality of life?