I can’t believe the weekend is already over! I have to take back what I said last week about fall temperatures arriving in Texas….it was in the 30s and 40s most of the week and in the 80s today. That’s Texas weather for you!
For this week’s healthy eating highlight, I am extremely excited to introduce you to my very dear friend, Patricia. I met Patricia a year and a half ago through my running club. She is an amazing runner, mother, friend, and person. She’s just one of those people you can’t help but like! I love her approach to healthy eating and healthy living. I hope you enjoy getting to know her too! If you’d like to be our next featured healthy eating highlight, comment here or email me at email@example.com. I’d love to share your story too!
- Tell us a little about yourself. I am Pratishtha Gottlieb, I go by Patricia:). I am happily married for 12 years and a mother of an 11 year old and a 9 year old. By profession I am a teacher.
- What do you consider to be a healthy lifestyle? To me the key to a healthy lifestyle is “discipline”. Never stuff yourself when you eat. Eating is not a race. Slow down and enjoy your food. Learn to love fruits and vegetables. Exercise every day and spend time with your loved ones.
- What does your typical day look like? I love running, so my day usually starts with an early morning run. After that I shower, and get my children ready for school then I get ready for work. After work, I pick my children from school, give them healthy fruits as an after school snack. Then I get busy with fixing dinner and tiding up around the house. We all eat dinner together and then my husband and I take children for their basketball or volleyball practice or games. Every night of the week we have activities (Girl scout meeting or boy scout meeting) etc. In the evenings I like to end my day with some stretching. It helps calm my mind and body so I sleep soundly.
- What is your biggest challenge to living a healthy lifestyle? My biggest challenge for a healthy lifestyle is when I buy foods or snacks for my children which I don’t consider to be very healthy, but they want them because all the other kids eat those snacks. I don’t want them to feel deprived in any way so I do this once in a while.
- What motivates you to choose a healthy lifestyle? My children motivated me to choose healthy life style. I use to eat very unhealthy, a few years ago. When I think of my grocery cart from those days, it grosses me out. I did not like when I saw my children eating those unhealthy snacks. That motivated me to change. I try to model a healthy and positive life style for them now.
- What advice would you offer to someone struggling to get started? Start small. Don’t start by saying, “from now on I will live a healthy lifestyle.” That can be overwhelming. Start one day or one week at a time. Make small changes and build up your healthy lifestyle gradually. Each change has to be something you can live with forever. You have to make it part of who you are. Once you get comfortable with where you are move on to to the next change. Never deprive yourself of any foods you love, but remember moderation is the key. Exercise, means anything that makes you sweat and you LOVE to do. Work out with your friends, that’s a huge way to stay motivated. Drink lots of water. Our body is too precious to treat it like a trash can. See it’s easy, everything is in your favor, friends, good food, spend time with your loved ones 🙂 Life Is Great. Live it to the fullest!!